
Three people, two women and a man, have been confirmed dead after a three-storey building that was being used as a church collapsed on worshippers in the Ghanaian capital, Accra, on Sunday.
Interior Minister Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak said 20 others, most of them women and children, had been rescued and were being treated in various hospitals. There was "90-95% certainty that we no longer [have] any persons [trapped]", he added.
Emergency teams worked through the night under floodlights searching for victims inside the structure's remains.
The cause of its collapse, which happened after heavy rain, is unknown, with the interior minister saying investigations are under way.
The building itself, which was part of a school in Accra's New Town area, was being used despite lying unfinished for several years, according to locals.
"What we can say is that there was a total of 23 people... It's a very sad day for all of us," Mohammed-Mubarak said.
Earlier reports had initially confirmed two deaths and 14 rescued, but the minister said the latest figures of 20 rescued had been cross-checked with various sources, including the ambulance services.
He acknowledged that it had been difficult to determine how many people had been in the building at the time of its collapse, and commended emergency responders for their quick response and rescue efforts through the night.
The national fire service has posted images on X of workers at the site as an agitated crowd mill around the scene.
Eyewitnesses reported hearing trapped victims calling for help under the rubble, describing the incomplete building as poorly constructed with no major maintenance since construction started.
"Everybody in the community knows the building is very weak, yet they allowed services and activities inside," an eyewitness said.
Operations to check for any more worshippers are continuing and the debris is being cleared.
The incident has reignited the debate about the structural integrity of some of the buildings in the country.
It has also reminded people of the 2012 collapse of a multi-storey shopping centre that was attributed to poor construction.
You may also be interested in:
Go to BBCAfrica.com for more news from the African continent.
Follow us on Twitter @BBCAfrica, on Facebook at BBC Africa or on Instagram at bbcafrica
BBC Africa podcasts
LATEST POSTS
- 1
The Incomparable Advanced cameras: Which One Will Win? - 2
Kremlin: Russian troops conquer Pokrovsk after year of intense combat - 3
When is MLK Day? Plus, the dates of when other federal holidays land in 2026. - 4
7 Methods for further developing Rest Quality - 5
Top Breakfast Food: What's Your Morning Enjoyment?
Figure out how to Amplify Your Open Record Reward
Israel faces tough choices over haredi draft exemptions, legal expert warns
Cases of norovirus are on the rise just in time for the holiday season
White House responds to Sabrina Carpenter after pop star slams 'evil' ICE video using her song
Canada's Serene Lakeside Mountain Village Is A Breathtaking Oasis For Outdoor Adventure
Behind every perfect holiday memory is a mom on the brink
Fire Allegedly Triggered by Wedding Cake Sparkler Causes Venue to Go Up in Flames, Leaving Groom with Second-Degree Burns
Discussion on deployment of foreign troops ongoing, two sources tell 'Post'
Ministry: New German petrol price regulation takes effect on April 1











